Monday, February 23, 2015

John 01:29-34 A Prophet like Moses – “The Herald”

A Prophet like Moses – “The Herald”

There is a prophecy in Deuteronomy 18:15-19 that God would raise up a prophet like Moses – that prophecy was fulfilled by Jesus.

In today’s parallel, Jesus and Moses both had a prophet appointed by God as their herald to speak to the people about them. Aaron was appointed to speak to the people about Moses and John the Baptist was appointed to speak to the people about Jesus. Aaron was glad when he saw Moses and John the Baptist was glad when he saw Jesus. Moses was as God to Aaron and Jesus was God to John the Baptist. Aaron was slightly older than Moses and John the Baptist was slightly older than Jesus. Both Aaron and John the Baptist were from the tribe of Levi.

Exodus 4:14-16 "Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well; and behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you he will be glad in his heart. 15 And you shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth; and I will be with your mouth and with his mouth, and will teach you what you shall do. 16 He shall speak for you to the people; and he shall be a mouth for you, and you shall be to him as God.

John 01:29-34 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he for whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him; but for this I came baptizing in water, that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 And John bore witness, “I saw the Spirit descend as a dove from heaven, and it remained on him. 33 I did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

There are many signs and wonders that Jesus did that were like those done by Moses – can you find them? Do you know what religion claims that someone else fulfilled the prophecy in Deuteronomy 18:15-19? The other religion does not have a parallel for the prophetic herald for the prophet that they claim was like Moses.

J. Clontz – Editor of The Comprehensive New Testament

Previously:
01. Moses and Jesus returned to their native land after a message from the Lord indicated that the men who were seeking their lives were dead. Exodus 4:19/Matthew 2:19
02. At the time when Moses and Jesus were born, the ruler of the country ordered the killing of all the male infants in the region. Exodus 1:22/Matthew 2:16
03. The ruling authority summoned wise men to learn more about the signs concerning Jesus and Moses. Exodus 7:11/ Matthew 2:7


No comments: