Sunday, April 9, 2017

The Burial Foreshadowed

John 19:38 But after this Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took away his body.

A man named Joseph asked for permission to bury both Jesus and Jacob (Genesis 50:5 …Now therefore let me go up, I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will come again. 6 And Pharaoh said, Go up, and bury thy father…).

John 19:39 And Nicodemus, who had at first come to him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds. 40 So they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews.

A man named Joseph was involved with preparing both Jesus and Jacob’s bodies for burial (Genesis 50:2 And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father: and the physicians embalmed Israel).

John 19:41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had ever been laid. 42 So because of the Jewish day of Preparation, as the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

A man named Joseph buried both Jesus and Jacob in a tomb (Genesis 50:5 My father made me swear, saying, Lo, I die: in my grave which I have digged for me in the land of Canaan, there shalt thou bury me).


J. Clontz – Editor of the Comprehensive New Testament

No comments: