Monday, March 26, 2018

The Question for Good Friday - Was Jesus’ Crucifixion Part of God’s Plan?

While Jesus was dying on the cross He quoted the first line of Psalm 22. Over 500 years before Jesus was crucified, Psalm 22 was written about a person’s death that would cause people around the world to turn to the Lord. The only person who will cause people around the world to turn to the Lord is the Messiah. So Psalm 22 is a prophecy about the Messiah. The details concerning Jesus’ death in the Gospel of Matthew parallel the prophecy in Psalm 22. There is no denying the effect that Jesus’ death has had on people around the globe turning to the Lord. Jesus’ crucifixion fulfilled God’s plan written in Psalm 22. Only God could know the specifics of the death of a single person that would change the world 500 years before it happened. The prophecy from Psalm 22 and the parallels to Jesus’ crucifixion are listed below. The parallels are unmistakable. The important question is - what are you going to do with the unmistakable knowledge that Jesus died according to a prophecy written about the Messiah who would change the world?

J. Clontz – Editor of the Comprehensive New Testament

Psalm 22:1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Psalm 22:8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
Matthew 27:43 He trusts in God? Let him deliver now, if he desires him; for he said, ‘I am the Son of God!’“

Psalm 22:16 They pierced my hands and my feet.
Matthew 27:35 They had crucified him.

Psalm 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
Matthew 27:35 … they divided his garments among them by casting lots.

Psalm 22:27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before you.
Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

No comments: