Thursday, July 11, 2013

Matthew 04:18-22 Fishers of Men

Have you ever wondered why Jesus picked fishermen as some of his disciples? There is a hymn in the Dead Sea Scrolls that appears to indicate that the Messiah would lodge with many fishermen. The comparison below is based on the cross reference notes in the Comprehensive New Testament:


18 As he was walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him. 21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets. And he called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed him. [Matthew 4:18-22 Comprehensive New Testament]

You made my lodging with many fishermen, those who spread the net upon the surface of the sea, those who go hunting the sons of iniquity. And there you established me for the judgment, and strengthened in my heart the foundation of truth. The covenant, therefore, for those looking for it. You closed the mouth of the lion cubs, whose teeth are like a sword, whose molars are like a sharpened spear, they are vipers’ venom, all their scheming is to lay waste. They lay in wait for me, but did not open their mouths against me. For you, my God, hid me from the sons of man, concealed your law in me, until the moment of revealing your salvation through me. [The Dead Sea Scrolls, 1QHymns (1QHodayoth [1QH]) Col. XIII 8-12]

No comments: