Saturday, July 13, 2013

Matthew 26:26-29 The Poetry of the Last Supper

At the last supper, Jesus creates a Hebrew poem by rhyming “body” and “vine” and rhyming “atonement” and “fruit.”

Matthew 26:26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and, giving it to the disciples, said, “Take, eat; this is my body {“Body” (גופי)}.” 27 Then he took a cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness {“Atonement” (לכפרת)} of sins. 29 From now on, I tell you, I will never drink of this fruit {“Fruit” (פרי)} of the vine {“Vine” (הגפן)} until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.” [The Passion: The Poetry of God]

Body and Vine are Hebrew puns for each other

“Body” (גופי)
“Vine” (הגפן)

Atonement and Fruit are Hebrew puns for each other

“Atonement” (לכפרת)
“Fruit” (פרי)

J. Clontz – Editor of The Comprehensive New Testament

No comments: