Saturday, November 1, 2014

Who was the Greatest Follower of Jesus? Luke 23:40-43 Genesis 40:01-14

During Jesus’ ministry different people momentarily became his greatest follower. At the moment when the criminal on the cross asked Jesus to, “remember me when you come into your kingdom” - he was the greatest follower of Jesus. The greatest followers of Jesus were foreshadowed by Joseph the patriarch. In this example, the foreshadowing includes:

The soldiers led him away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and they called together the whole battalion. Mark 15:16
…and he put them in custody in the house of the captain of the guard. Genesis 40:3

One of the two criminals with Jesus asked Jesus to, “remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Luke 23:42
Joseph the patriarch was one of two criminals with the butler in the dungeon and he asked the butler, “remember me, when it is well with you” Genesis 40:14

On the third day after his death, Jesus was raised from the dead and - …he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures. 1Corinthians 15:04b
Then Joseph said to him, "This is its interpretation: the three branches are three days; within three days Pharaoh will lift up your head and restore you to your office…” Genesis 40:12-13

Jesus is associated with the vine – “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.” John 15:1
The butler was associated with the vine - So the chief butler told his dream to Joseph, and said to him, "In my dream there was a vine before me.” Genesis 40:9 

J. Clontz – Editor of the Comprehensive New Testament

Luke 23:40 But the other answered, and rebuking him, said, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” 43 And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

23:40 Alx[rebuking him, said], Byz[rebuked him, saying (DRA, ESV, ~HCS, JNT, KJV, ~MRD, NET, ~NIV, ~NJB, NKJ, ~NLT, NRS, ~REB, RSV, TEV, ~TLB)].
23:42 Alx[said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom”], Byz[said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when you come in your kingdom” (DRA, KJV, MRD, NKJ, ~TEV)], Minor[in the day of your coming].
23:43 Alx[And he said to him], Byz[And Jesus said to him (DRA, JNT, KJV, MRD, NET, NIV, NKJ, NLT, REB, TEV, TLB)]; Alx/Byz[I say to you, today you will be with me], Minor[I say to you today, you will be with me].


No comments: