Sunday, November 2, 2014

Who was the Greatest Follower of Jesus? Joseph of Arimathea - John 19:38-42 Genesis 50:01-13

During Jesus’ ministry different people momentarily became his greatest follower. At the moment when Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for Jesus’ body, he was the greatest follower of Jesus. The greatest followers of Jesus were foreshadowed by Joseph the patriarch. In this example, the foreshadowing includes:

Both Joseph of Arimathea and Joseph the Patriarch were secretly brethren
John 19:38 But after this Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly,
Genesis 42:8 Thus Joseph knew his brothers, but they did not know him.

Both Joseph of Arimathea and Joseph the Patriarch ask the ruling authority for permission to bury the body
John 19:38 But after this Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took away his body.
Genesis 50:4 And when the days of weeping for him were past, Joseph spoke to the household of Pharaoh, saying, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in the ears of Pharaoh, saying, 5 My father made me swear, saying, `I am about to die: in my tomb which I hewed out for myself in the land of Canaan, there shall you bury me.' Now therefore let me go up, I pray you, and bury my father; then I will return." 6 And Pharaoh answered, "Go up, and bury your father, as he made you swear."

Both Joseph of Arimathea and Joseph the Patriarch prepare the body for burial with help
John 19:39 And Nicodemus, who had at first come to him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds. 40 So they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews.
Genesis 50:2 And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. So the physicians embalmed Israel…

Both Joseph of Arimathea and Joseph the Patriarch bury the body in a tomb
John 19:41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had ever been laid. 42 So because of the Jewish day of Preparation, as the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.
Genesis 50:5 My father made me swear, saying, `I am about to die: in my tomb which I hewed out for myself in the land of Canaan, there shall you bury me.' Now therefore let me go up, I pray you, and bury my father; then I will return."

J. Clontz – Editor of the Comprehensive New Testament

John 19:38 But after this Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took away his body. 39 And Nicodemus, who had at first come to him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds. 40 So they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. 41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had ever been laid. 42 So because of the Jewish day of Preparation, as the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

19:38 Alx/Byz[But after this], Major[After this (ESV, HCS, JNT, MRD, NAB, NAU, NET, NIV, NJB, NKJ, NLT, NRS, REB, RSV, TEV, TLB)]; Alx[took away his body], Byz[took away the body of Jesus (DRA, KJV, MRD, NKJ)], Minor[took him away], Alt[took the body away (JNT, NET, NIV, NLT, REB) others took it away (NJB, TEV, TLB)].
19:39 Alx[come to him by night], Byz[come to Jesus by night (DRA, ESV, JNT, KJV, MRD, NET, NIV, NJB, NKJ, NLT, NRS, REB, TEV, TLB)]; Alx/Byz[bringing a mixture], Minor[bringing a roll (~NLT, ~TLB)]; a hundred pounds Greek a hundred litrai.
19:41 Alx[no one had ever been laid], Byz[no one was yet laid (ASV, KJV, ~NLT, ~REB, ~TLB)].

19:42 Alx/Byz[Jewish day of Preparation], Alt/Peshitta[sabbath (MRD, ~REB, ~TEV, ~TLB)], Alt/Vulgate[parasceve of the Jews (DRA)].

No comments: