Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Away, Satan!


After Jesus was baptized, he was tempted by Satan. Jesus’ response after the last temptation parallels the baptism ceremony that early Christians used and is still used in many Christian churches today.

 

Then Jesus said to him, “Away, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’” – Matthew 4:10

 

Nevertheless you are bidden to say, with arm outstretched towards him as though he were present, I renounce you, Satan. I wish also to say wherefore you stand facing to the West; for it is necessary. Since the West is the region of sensible darkness, and he being darkness has his dominion also in darkness, therefore, looking with a symbolic meaning towards the West, you renounce that dark and gloomy potentate. What then did each of you stand up and say? I renounce you, Satan,— you wicked and most cruel tyrant! Meaning, I fear your might no longer; for that Christ has overthrown, having partaken with me of flesh and blood, that through these He might by death destroy death (Hebrews 2:14-15), that I might not be made subject to bondage forever.

Cyril of Jerusalem [Catechetical Lecture 19.4]

 

I hope that Satan stays away from you forever!

 

Dr. J. Clontz

 

Biblical text from “The Comprehensive New Testament.”

No comments: