Sunday, September 26, 2021

According to the Apostle Paul, the Gospel was Promised Beforehand through God’s Prophets.


 Romans 1:1-3 “…the gospel of God 2 which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures, 3 concerning his Son, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh.”

 

Below are some of the prophecies written by God’s prophets that were fulfilled in the gospel. These prophecies were written hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus and were fulfilled during his life. Jesus is the only person in human history whose biographical information matches the messianic prophecies made by the Old Testament prophets.

 

Dr. J. Clontz – Editor of The Comprehensive New Testament

 

Prophecy written in Malachi 4:5-6 fulfilled according to the angel Gabriel in Luke 1:17 – “Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome Day of the LORD. And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers. Otherwise, I will come and strike the land with a curse.”

 

Prophecy written in Isaiah 7:14 fulfilled according to Matthew 1:22-23 – “The virgin shall be with child and bear a son.”

 

Prophecy written in Micah 5:2 fulfilled according to the angel of the Lord in Luke 2:11 – “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come forth for Me One to be ruler over Israel — One whose origins are of old, from the days of eternity.”

 

Prophecy written in Hosea 11:1 fulfilled according to Matthew 2:15 – “...out of Egypt I called My Son.”

 

Prophecy written in Jeremiah 31:15 fulfilled according to Matthew 2:17 - “A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping, Rachel weeping for her children, and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.”

 

Prophecy written in Isaiah 11:1-2 fulfilled according to Matthew 2:23 - “Then a shoot will spring up from the stump of Jesse, and a Branch from his roots will bear fruit. The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him—the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and strength, the Spirit of knowledge and fear of the LORD.”

 

Prophecy written in Isaiah 40:3 fulfilled according to Matthew 3:3 - “A voice of one calling: “Prepare the way for the LORD in the wilderness; make a straight highway for our God in the desert.””

 

Prophecy written in Deuteronomy 18:15 fulfilled according to Acts 3:20-24 – “The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me [Moses] from among your brothers. You must listen to him.”

 

Prophecy written in Isaiah 61:1-2 fulfilled according to Luke 4:18-21 – “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on Me, because the LORD has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and freedom to the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor.”

 

Prophecy written in Isaiah 9:1-2 fulfilled according to Matthew 4:14-16 – “Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those in distress. In the past He humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future He will honor the Way of the Sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations: The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death, a light has dawned.”

 

Prophecy written in Isaiah 53:4 fulfilled according to Matthew 8:17 – “Surely He took on our infirmities and carried our sorrows.”

 

Prophecy written in Isaiah 42:1 fulfilled according to Matthew 12:17-18 – “Here is My Servant, whom I uphold, My Chosen One, in whom My soul delights. I will put My Spirit on Him, and He will bring justice to the nations.”

 

Prophecy written in Psalm 78:2 fulfilled according to Matthew 13:35 - “I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the beginning.”

 

Prophecy written in Zechariah 9:9 fulfilled according to Matthew 21:4-5 - “Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your King comes to you, righteous and victorious, humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.”

 

Prophecy written in Zechariah 11:12-13 fulfilled according to Matthew 27:9 - “Then I told them, “If it seems right to you, give me my wages; but if not, keep them.” So they weighed out my wages, thirty pieces of silver.”

 

Prophecy written in Psalm 22:16-18 fulfilled according to John 19:23-24 – “For dogs surround me; a band of evil men encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet. I can count all my bones; they stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.”

 

Prophecy written in Psalm 34:20 fulfilled according to John 19:36 - “He protects all his bones; not one of them will be broken.”

 

Prophecy written in Zechariah 12:10 fulfilled according to John 19:37 - “they will look on Me, the One they have pierced.”

No comments: